Published Articles (in English):
- How do Tax Incentives Affect Investment and Productivity? Firm-Level Evidence from China, (with J. Mao), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, forthcoming.
- "Financial Constraints and Firm Tax Evasion," (with J. Alm and K. Zhang). International Tax and Public Finance, forthcoming.
- "Competition Policy and Trade Barriers: Empirical Evidence from China," (with G. Ye). Review of Industrial Organization, forthcoming.
- "Rawlsian vs. Utilitarian: Teachers' Incentives and the Distribution of Student Performance," (with Y. Xu). Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 174(3), 2018, pp. 548–569.
- "Internet and Income Inequality: A Research Note," Economics Bulletin, 37(4), 2017, pp. 2846-2853.
- "Corruption, Taxation, and Tax Evasion," (with J. Alm). eJournal of Tax Research, 15(2), 2017, pp. 161-189. (Invited)
- "Fiscal Decentralization, Equalization, and Intra-Provincial Inequality in China," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez and M. Wu). International Tax and Public Finance 24, 2017, pp. 248-281.
- "'Province-Managing-County' Fiscal Reform, Land Expansion, and Urban Growth in China," (with J. Alm). Journal of Housing Economics 33, 2016, pp. 82-100.
- "Do Government Preferences Matter for Tax Competition?", International Tax and Public Finance, 23(2), 2016, 343-367.
- "Frozen in Time: The Much Needed Reform of Expenditures Assignments in China," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez and B. Qiao), Public Finance and Management, 15(4), 2015, 297-325.
- "Public Input Competition under Stackelberg Equilibrium: A Note," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez), Journal of Public Economic Theory, 17(6), 2015, 1022-1037.
- "The Growth-Inequality Tradeoff in the Design of Tax Structure: Evidence from a Large Panel of Countries," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez), Pacific Economic Review 20(2), 2015, pp. 323-345.
- "Rural Rebound: Determinants of Metro to Non-metro Migration in the U.S." (with A. Rupasingha and M. Partridge), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(3), 2015, pp. 680-700.
- "Tax Structure and Corruption: Cross-Country Evidence," (with H. Feng), Public Choice, 162(1), 2015, pp57-78.
- "Falling Short: Intergovernmental Transfers in China," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez and B. Qiao), Public Finance and Management, 14(4), 2014, pp.374-398.
- "Inter-jurisdictional Tax Competition in China," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez), Journal of Regional Science, 54(4), 2014, pp. 606-628.
- "Does Competition for Capital Discipline Governments? The Role of Fiscal Equalization," International Tax and Public Finance, 21(3), 2014, pp. 345-374. [Paper]
- "China's Tax-for-Fee Reform and Village Inequality," (with J. Alm), Oxford Development Studies 42(1), 2014, pp.38-64.
- "Did China's Tax-for-Fee Reform Improve Farmers' Welfare in Rural Areas?" (with J. Alm), Journal of Development Studies 49(4), 2013, pp.516-532.
- "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers and Local Tax Effort: Evidence from Provinces in China," (with J. Zhao), Journal of Economic Policy Reform 14(4), 2011, pp.295-300.
Published Book Chapters (in English):
- "Measuring the Extent of Fiscal Decentralization: An Application to the U.S. States,'' in OECD Fiscal Federalism Studies: Measuring Fiscal Decentralization, ed. by J. Kim J. Lotz and H. Blöchliger, OECD Publishing, 2013 (with J. Martinez-Vazquez and A. Timofeev).
- "Direct versus Indirect Taxation: Trends, Theory and Economic Significance," (with J. Martinez-Vazquez and V. Vulovic), Papeles de Economía Española 125-126, 2010, pp.77-111. --Reprinted in The Elgar Guide to Tax System, ed. by E. Albi and J. Martinez-Vazquez, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011.
Published Articles (in Chinese):